8/20/12

Running Is My Rest

Why are CrossFitters so afraid of running a 5K? More often than not they'd rather tackle Murph with a 20lb vest than run a 5K. You get more grumbles and groans from posting a 5K than any other WOD. Hell, even some folks cheer when they see Fran posted, but not a 5K. I've even had folks come up to me and ask me why I'm part of my gym's endurance team. I find that rather ironic a CrossFitter thinking I'm crazy because I'm part of an endurance team.

We all joined CrossFit because it made us stronger, faster, healthier, etc. We've come to use CrossFit as a way to highlight our weaknesses. In fact CrossFit is one of the best ways of identifying your weaknesses. So if we identify that we suck at pull ups, don't we do our best to overcome that weakness and get better at pull ups? Why is it that CrossFitters covet the muscle up? Because it's hard? Why don't we feel the same way about a sub-20 minute 5K? That's hard too, but I find that more folks are willing to do whatever it takes to get that first muscle up than they ever would in taking the first steps in improving their 5K time.

Ever since joining the endurance team, I've noticed my stamina significantly increase. I've also found that WODs with running in them are so much easier. I now look at the run portions of a WOD as my rest. So why don't more people want to make running their rest? Because running is hard? Well so is CrossFit. It's time to stop hiding from our weaknesses and look forward to these 5K runs. We should all strive to make running our rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment