7/20/12

Beaten and Bruised, But Not Broken

There are several times that we become beaten and bruised. In fact, recently I was diagnosed with elbow tendonitis--more specifically golfer's elbow...and I don't play golf, go figure. My WODs are now limited as movements such as pull ups and dynamic stabilization using my arms, i.e. wall balls, aggravates my injury. Does this mean that I've stopped WODing? Of course not. Injuries come along to remind us that technique is critically important--if our technique is bad, we're more prone to injury. They also come along as a reminder that maybe we need to take it easy to let our bodies heal. If this is the case, then why am I continuing to WOD? It's because since one part of my body is beaten and bruised doesn't mean I'm completely broken. Injuries can help us focus on strengthening other parts of our bodies that we may have neglected. So with my recent injury I've been focusing on my pistols and handstand push ups. I've also taken up self experimentation to figure out what movements aggravate it and what doesn't. A lot of trial and error is involved, but at least I'm not sitting my ass doing nothing.

So if you ever find yourself injured, there are still ways to work on your weaknesses. You may be beaten and bruised, but you're not broken, so WOD on.

No comments:

Post a Comment